Tuesday 3 January 2012

Right or Love? Part 1

I have not written for some time and I really thought it was time I started writing again. I have decided that I will try to post something on my blog every day. That is every WORKING day except Saturday and Sunday unless I’m chanced to do so at the weekend. Also, I will alternate between writing a blog on my own view of things as I see them and posting and excerpt from my book DECEPTIO published by WestBow Press. Is that okay? Fine.
I had initially thought I needed to write a thesis with each blog but I have changed my mind and will keep it short and hopefully sweet. But I promise it will be the truth.
I got thinking one day and the thought generally came to my mind, how with all the problems in the world, the “rights” that we hold on to have not solved any of them. I won’t say it was as epiphany, but the thought entered to my heart that all the rights (the right to life, liberty, freedom of expression, right to property, family life etc) are a poor imitation of God’s laws and in a way substandard to God’s laws. Taking a cue from I Corinthians 13, the greatest law of God is love and unless we walk in love, we will settle for less than God has in store for us. Let me explain.
I know we all know the story of how Eleanor Roosevelt and her championing the cause of the drafting of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. However, it is my personal belief that when we walk according to the law or our “rights”, we miss the chance to walk in love. Just like I said in one my former blogs Love vs Law, I fail to understand how a married woman, who says she’s Christian, can use to law or her “rights” against her husband. We all know the scenario. He says, “Let’s have children.” She says, “No. It’s my body and I can do whatever I want with it and I’m not ready to have children.” This however, is totally different from what Paul says in I Corinthians 7 v 4 where he says neither person owns their body. I believe that the correct thing would be to have a discussion on the issue and come to an agreement mutually beneficial to everybody.
What then is love? Again, I must reiterate that love is not what Hollywood has painted it. Love has absolutely nothing to do with sex. To understand love, two verses spring to mind. John 3 v 16 and John 15 v 13. If you love, you must be ready not only to give; you must be ready to suffer loss and pain on the basis of what you give. God loved us enough to suffer the loss of his son. Jesus loved us enough to suffer the loss of his life.

(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment