Wednesday 18 September 2013

I'm a Christian (But It's My Right To Be Nasty & Obnoxious)

Some years ago when I was still kind of addicted to Facebook, while going through my timeline, I loved reading Pastor Rick Warren's updates. There were times when I not only loved what he had said, I also wanted to add my own comments. And every time I opened the comment box, as regular as anything there was this guy who was there not to testify to the lie or truth of the comment but to insult and abuse. If you went through every comment on Rick Warren's timeline, you would find at least one comment from the guy being nasty and critical. And the sad thing was that you couldn't put your hand on why he was the way he was. I got into something of an argument with another person following Pastor Warren who assured me that it was the man's right to be nasty and obnoxious because that right was was guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.

The other day, I looked at a picture posted in Instagram by Dr Mike Murdock. I read through the comments as I love to do. I was therefore shocked to see a nasty comment from a female follower. I don't know about you but I was taken aback that someone would actually take the time to actually follow someone just so you could be nasty to them. I don't have an issue if you have a bone to pick with someone, but why take the time to aim nasty and terrible comments on social media when you could spend that time doing other and better things. If you have a bone to pick with someone, why not start a blog or something instead of practically stalking them on social media because in my view that's what it is, stalking.

The other day, Jars of Clay retweeted a comment by someone who claimed that he the group's new album, Inland proved his point that Christian music was at least 2 years behind the rest of others genres. Personally, I don't know what he meant by that. Maybe he wants Christian ministers to be like Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga for us to be like the rest. Personally that's why I love Christian music because it's about Jesus. A week or so ago, the group also retweeted a comment by another person who had come to one of their shows. According to him, Jesus was not seen because of the people they came to sing with. According to the group, they will retweet people even if what they say is really not complimentary to group. Based on that, my respect for the group has increased. I also respect the right of those who tweeted their comments to make those comments. They were making comments based on their views. However they didn't see the need to be nasty to get their point across.

I love Michael Hyatt. If you want to make a comment on his blog, you see a notice that tells you that he retains the right to delete comments that are snarky and offensive. Sadly that's not really possible on social media like Twitter or Facebook. The sad thing is that the people who go on social media to hurl abuse and insults on people who don't even acknowledge them grow even bitter when they do not receive any validation. I don't have a problem with you having a right to speak but the problem is that when stand on a right we exclude love. Love should be what moves us, not proving a point or being right.

No comments:

Post a Comment