Monday 20 January 2014

No Fear

I remember reading about the Pope's Christmas message. According to him, Christian's needed to live their lives free of fear. As I read about the message, it occurred to me that it was something all Christians needed to take to heart.

A new year is here and we have made resolutions, we dreams and hopes for the new year yet before we've even started on the path to seeing the achievement of those things we long for, we are already crippled by fear. Our fear causes us to make excuses as to why we shouldn't even try walking down that path. Then of course there us the fear of failure. Apart from being afraid of not achieving what we set out to do, we are worried about how people will laugh when we try, fail and fall flat on our faces. We are afraid of people's opinions.

Okay, can we come to a stop right there? With all those thoughts going through our minds, it's obvious as to why the Bible says that dear has torment. We are tormented by the thoughts of things that might never happen. Jesus has promised that no matter what happens, he will be with us. We need to keep the thought constantly at the front of our minds that not only is he with us, he is for us. We need to take him at his word.

The Bible says that God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and of a sound mind. Therefore fear is not only not from God, it is not of God. The question what if is not only a negative one as we like to think. It could also be a positive one. So instead of thinking "What if I fail?" wouldn't be better if we thought "What if I try and I succeed?"

The year us just beginning and it has the potential of being the best year of our lives yet. But it's not going to happen that way just because we think it. We need to act so that it can be. For that to happen we need to live unafraid. We need to stop letting fear write the story of our lives. That's God's job. And so my friends, as I go on my journey to find those things that I was meant to do and be, I ask that you go with me on the journey, even as we both go with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment