Wednesday 25 June 2014

LOST, BUT FOUND (EXCERPT)


The entire congregation watched Greg as he made his way to the pulpit. By now, everyone in church knew that he was taking over from Bill Wilkinson in a couple of month’s time. Bill had already preached that morning so people wondered what it was he wanted to come and say. People whispered to each other trying to guess the reason for his speech or whatever it was.
Greg walked to the pulpit feeling the stares of the people on him. He had never felt this nervous before in all his years in the ministry. His knees felt like buckling under the weight of all the attention directed at him and he felt like running away. But he sent up a prayer for strength and continued walking toward the pulpit. It had never seemed so far away.
Ruth watched her husband walk up the steps to the stage as he made for the pulpit with a lump in her throat and a deep feeling of sadness in her heart. She had tried to dissuade him from his decision but he had refused to be moved. In a way she understood his decision but she felt it wasn’t necessary.
Jessie watched her father walk up to the pulpit and accept the microphone from Bill Wilkinson. Her parents had supported her decision to keep the baby. They had even said that if she wanted to marry Peter and go to New York with him as he had asked her to, they would give their permission. They had made it clear that all they were concerned about were her happiness and her welfare. Even though they had been extremely supportive, a distance had somehow developed between Jessie and her parents and she didn’t know how to bridge it. There was no laughter between them anymore and Jessie wished things could go back to the way they had been before. She wished that things had turned out differently for everyone. She was surprised when her mother took hold of her hand. She looked up at her mother who smiled at her wanly and turned back to look at Greg.
“Good morning church. As you know, Bill Wilkinson is retiring in a couple of months time,” Greg began, leaning one hand on the pulpit, “and I was chosen by the church’s board of trustees. Out of all the people who applied for the position, they felt that I was the best person to do the job. That for me was so humbling. I would like to thank Bob Carlisle and the entire members of the trustees’ board for their faith in my ability to do the work. I however want say that I will no longer be taking up the post of pastor here at New Earth Evangelical Church.”
The noise from a lot of people speaking together almost put him off but he continued, ignoring them all. “I have recently come into possession of certain information that would make it impossible for me to discharge my duties here at the church to the best of my ability. I wouldn’t want a situation where the word of God was treated with levity or there was a pointing of fingers due to certain circumstances. I do not seek to justify what has happened, but it has made it impossible for me to discharge the duties imposed on me as a pastor with all good conscience.”
“I have this morning informed the trustees of my decision to leave and once again I thank them for the opportunity given to me to lead this great people. I’m very grateful. I apologise for leaving everyone in the lurch like this and I take full responsibility. God bless you all.”
Greg handed the microphone back to a surprised Bill Wilkinson and walked off the stage. The entire congregation had by now lapsed into silence. One or two people clapped but when they saw that hardly anyone else was joining in, they stopped. As Greg got off the stage, Ruth stood up with her arms around Jessie and together they all walked out of the church.






JC Cruz is the author of DECEPTIO published by WestBowPress, a division of Thomas Nelson publishers.http://bookstore.westbowpress.com/Products/SKU000194087/Deceptio.aspx and LOST, BUT FOUND available at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPLLEUQ/. You can follow him on Twitter @Cruz_JCReal





No comments:

Post a Comment